Designed specially for those who like the sun!
A tan is gorgeous but damage to your skin is not!
Regardless of whether you are being exposed to UV rays from a tanning bed or directly from the sun (which affects us all everyday), cumulative damage to your skin can occur such as:
- reducing the production of collagen and elastin
- slowing down the natural exfoliation of dead skin cells
- wrinkles & sagging skin
- blotches & dark spots
- dull complexion
Our green tea scrubs are specially designed to enhance your tanning experience with ingredients that work in synergy with each other to provide an optimal product that minimizes these negative effects. As a result you can still get the tan you want while reducing damage to your skin.
Why should I use a scrub before I get a tan?
- removes dead skin cells, eliminating toxins that disrupt skin cell degeneration
- helps your tan to last longer by ensuring the skin cells are at the beginning of their cycle
- gives your skin a more even surface
When should I use a scrub?
- before heading to the beach, pool, or just outside on the lawn
- the day before using a self tanner
- before going to the tanning salon (check with them as to when the optimal time is as salons vary)
Make sure to scrub your body from your feet all the way up in the direction towards your heart as this is most effective for better blood circulation.
So, what’s inside and what do they do to combat UV rays?
Inside every jar of scrub you will find fair trade Gunpowder green tea*, kale*, aloe vera gel*, Dead Sea Salts, dark brown sugar* (made on-site from fair trade sugar* and blackstrap unsulfured molasses*), bladderwrack seaweed* (sustainably harvested by hand from the Gulf of Maine), colloidal oatmeal* (made on-site), honey*, beeswax*, safflower oil*, mango butter*, unrefined fair trade cocoa butter*, sweet almond oil*, Vitamin E, and Citric Acid (a type of alpha hydroxy acid) (*organic). So what are the benefits of these stellar ingredients? Read below to find out…
- helps minimize the harmful/lasting effects of UV exposure such as premature wrinkles, brown spots, photoaging, and loss of skin elasticity
- targets cellulite
- minimizes the appearance of fine lines
- helps to regulate the skin’s pigment cells which allow the skin to tan in sunlight
- strengthens the pigment cells so they can protect themselves from UV damage
- improves skin’s metabolism
- reduces non-hereditary dark circles under your eyes
- promotes collagen production and elasticity, giving skin a fuller, firmer appearance
- keeps your skin hydrated
- helps prevent damage caused by free-radicals
- conditions the skin & replenishes the moisture, vitamins, and minerals lost due to UV exposure
- added bonus…helps clear-up and prevent acne!
Each scrub contains a combination of organic food for your skin, carefully selected by our staff holistic health practitioner, aromatherapist, and herbalist, such as:
- pure essential oils
So, what WON’T you find in our scrubs? Icky stuff like:
- fragrances & dyes
- artificial preservatives/colors
But wait, green tea scrubs have more benefits than just combating the negative effects of UV rays read on to discover how they feed your skin and the wonders it has to offer you…
Gunpowder Green Tea (organic & fair trade)
Tea has been prized for its health-promoting effects when you drink it. But did you know that it also has a long list of benefits when used ON the body?
Skin, your largest organ, provides protection for your internal organs, regulates temperature, detects sensory input, and REMOVES TOXINS. And guess what…your skin reproduces itself approximately every 28 days.
The appearance of your skin is determined by many factors including exposure to sunlight, air pollution, your diet and topical care. So what can I do to help my skin look and feel its best? Glad you asked! The best gift you can give your skin is to protect and nourish it as much as possible. One way you can achieve this topically is by using tea on your skin. I love relaxing with a nice cup of tea, but why would I use tea on my skin? Another really good question…the answers you seek can be found below:
- reduces signs of aging by improving elasticity of the skin, inhibiting the enzymes that break down collagen and elastin
- helps to slow down the signs of aging thanks to polyphenols
- stimulates blood flow and increases circulation, helping it to target cellulite, stretch marks, varicose veins, and scars
- reduces CELLULITE by tightening and smoothing the skin. All thanks to caffeine!
- helps reduce inflammation and itching, making it beneficial for eczema, psoriasis, rosacea, and other skin problems
- packed with antioxidants including:
- Vitamin C which aids in skin repair after an injury, decreases wrinkles, and lessens the production of the pigment melanin, allowing for lighter and brighter skin
- Vitamin E which is a strong antioxidant that is able to quench free radicals in the skin
- Carotenoids which are potent antioxidants that help quench free radicals generated by ultraviolet rays
- Flavonoids with the major polyphenol being EGCG which helps to inhibit inflammation & oxidative stress, and may help to prevent photoaging & cancers of the skin
The combination of these natural antioxidants improves overall skin health by giving it a smoother, brighter, and healthier appearance.
- tea is a potent inducer of superoxide dismutase (SOD), an enzyme that quenches excess superoxide radicals. The amount of SOD in normal skin diminishes as we age and tea can help increase your SOD level.
- the tannic acid in tea is both antibacterial and antifungal, so it can help prevent your feet from sweating and smelling.
- tones and moisturizes dry skin, drawing out impurities and shrinking large pores.
- calms skin thanks to the tannins
- helps to heal acne by flushing out toxins from the skin, reducing redness, & reducing inflammation.
- removes dirt and impurities from your pores. The slightly abrasive texture of dry green tea leaves acts as a great exfoliator to banish dead skin cells and purge pollutants.
- soothes the body and clears the mind by create a feeling of balance, inner peace and serenity, making it perfect for a pre-bedtime ritual.
- eases tired, puffy eyes and busts dark circles thanks to vitamin K, which is a proven ingredient in the battle against dark circles and puffy eyes.
To insure maximum benefits, we use only high-quality organic fair trade gunpowder green tea leaves as it has the highest levels of caffeine out of all the green teas and high levels of EGCG. For optimal effects, frequent use of topical products containing green tea in combination with exfoliating agents is recommended as exfoliation allows active tea constituents to better penetrate the skin.
DARK BROWN SUGAR – Hand crafted on-site (organic & fair trade):
To get the best quality of dark brown sugar, we make our own right before putting it in our scrubs.
- We start with fair trade organic sugar that is vegan and does not use Bone Char or any other raw materials containing animal products during the processing.
- To this we add organic, unsulfured Blackstrap Molasses, until we get a deep dark color and warm, yummy scent with a texture of wet sand that is abrasive enough to remove old skin cells without causing your skin harm or irritation.
Why not just buy premade brown sugar? Well, we wanted to have the purest, freshest, most aromatic dark brown sugar possible to maximize the benefits to your skin. What are those benefits? Glad you asked.
- Our homemade brown sugar is a humectant, meaning it can draw moisture out of the environment and can impart it into the skin, acting as a natural moisturizer, helping to keep the moisture in the skin.
- It is a natural glycolic acid (part of the alpha hydroxy acid family) aiding in the breakdown and removal of dead skin cells.
- Our brown sugar dissolves easily in water making it easy to rinse off, leaving no residue that could lead to clogged pores and acne.
- Last, but certainly not least, Blackstrap molasses comes from the bottom of the barrel where all the beneficial minerals are found, including B vitamins, which helps to heal the skin.
DEAD SEA SALTS:
The composition of the Dead Sea is unique, containing an astounding 21 minerals including:
- calciumwhich strengthens cell membranes and is vital in skin growth & regeneration. Calcium also helps to regulate the skin’s pigment cells which allow the skin to tan in sunlight and helps strengthen the pigment cells so they can protect themselves from UV damage. Dead Sea Salts contain a high level of calcium
- Potassiumsupplies energy to skin cells
- Sodiumimproves skin’s metabolism
- Magnesiumactivates enzymes to accelerate cell regeneration
- Calciumstrengthens cell membranes Dead Sea Salts contain a high level of calcium which is vital in skin growth and regeneration. Calcium also helps to regulate the skin’s pigment cells which allow the skin to tan in sunlight and helps strengthen the pigment cells so they can protect themselves from UV damage.
- Zinc promotes cell renewal as well as stimulating the synthesis of collagen and elastin
These natural minerals all have an extremely positive effect on the body, especially improving cell metabolism, making it very beneficial for those of us who love to get a tan!
Are there really benefits to using Kale ON your skin? Kale-ya there are! You’ve discovered the benefits of using kale in your smoothies and on your salad, now discover the benefits of using it ON your skin!
- loaded with Vitamins A, C and K, lutein, iron, and antioxidants
- helps to reduce the dark circles under your eyes
- reduces the appearance fine lines & wrinkles by tightening the skin
- promotes collagen production, which is essential for strengthens the skin and gives it a full appearance
- aids in cleaning out your pores and keeps your skin hydrated, both of which help the skin to look and be healthier
- as with eating kale, when you use it topically, kale has super-detoxifying effects that help prevent damage caused by free-radicals
Ok, so all that is great, but how does it help me with my tan? Great question…thanks to the antioxidants in kale, which are most potent when applied topically, it helps to reduce inflammation, signs of sun damage, & signs of premature aging caused by sun exposure all while promoting elasticity. This makes it very beneficial to everyone who goes out in the sun, especially those of us whose goal is to get a tan (even a tan from a tanning salon).
ALOE VERA GEL (organic):
- reduces inflammation
- stops pain
- helps with skin growth and repair
- packed with vitamins, minerals, amino acids and antioxidants. Actually the anitoxidants contained in Aloe belong to a large family of substances known as polyphenols which can help inhibit the growth of certain bacteria that can cause infections in humans.
- aids in improving the elasticity of your skin
- increases collagen production
- helps to slow the aging process by reducing the appearance of wrinkles
For anyone who enjoys tanning or just spending time in the sun, when you use aloe before and after sun exposure, it helps to condition the skin & minimize damage to your skin caused by the sun’s rays plus it replenishes the moisture, vitamins, and minerals lost due to sun exposure. In addition aloe works to minimize damage to your skin caused by the sun’s rays. The result…you get to keep your golden glow longer!
(sustainably harvested by hand from the Gulf of Maine)
- Skin softening properties
- Naturally nourishes skin
- Bladderwrack floats on top of the cold Atlantic waters where it soaks up vitamins and minerals from both the ocean and the sun that guard the skin against the harmful effects of environmental pollutants and helps to slow down the skin’s aging process.
- Packed full of vitamins and minerals such as B-complex vitamins, calcium, iodine, iron, magnesium, potassium, sodium, sulfur, and silicon, giving Bladderwrack incredible anti-inflammatory benefits.
- Contains carotene, selenium, zinc, and small amounts of antioxidant Vitamins A, C, and E, which nourish dehydrated and mature skin, improve skin tone/texture/elasticity while leaving it well-moisturized, visibly plumper, and more youthful-looking.
- Amino acids help to hydrate dry skin and alleviate inflammation and irritation.
- Antioxidant and antibacterial properties help improve skin conditions.
- Bladderwrack seaweed also contains fucoidan, a potent natural anti-inflammatory, which also helps reduce redness on the skin’s surface. Fucoidan fights aging by helping to maintain collagen levels and promote elasticity in the skin.
- Excellent natural source of omega-3 fatty acids that promote healthy skin.
- Helps soothe skin irritations (burns, insect bites, dryness, itchiness, eczema, and mild acne).
- Helps detoxify and cleanse the skin.
COLLOIDAL OATMEAL (organic)
- Has vitamins, minerals, and lipids that add moisture to benefit skin
- Rich in beta-glucans that reduce skin inflammation
- Activates the skin’s immune cells
- Stimulates collagen deposition
- Natural skin healer & protectant
- Helps inflammatory skin conditions such as: chicken pox, sunburn, eczema, diaper rash, poison ivy/oak/sumac rashes, insect bites, acne, & psoriasis
- Rich in saponins for cleansing, moisturizing, & soothing
- Helps normalize skin’s pH
CITRIC ACID (a type of alpha-hydroxy acid):
- An antioxidant that helps repair the skin
- Reduces the process of aging as it helps improve the texture of skin and lightening its tone
- Naturally exfoliates the skin, which aids in unclogging clogged pores
- Helps loosen the damaged layers of skin, resulting in healthier, younger skin
- Excellent source of vitamin C, which has anti-aging properties and enhances the production of collagen, increasing the skin’s elasticity and ability to retain moisture
- Hydrates and soothes the skin while moisturizing and healing
- Antimicrobial, prevents the growth of certain bacteria
- Helps to clear minor acne because of its antimicrobial and antioxidant properties, which helps to kill bacteria that cause acne and will help skin heal faster
- Natural humectant and hygroscopic, absorbing moisture from the air which aids in preventing dryness by keeping skin hydrated and fresh, making it great for dry or damaged skin
- Antioxidant that destroys free radicals, helps to protect the skin from sun damage, and helps skin look younger longer
- Anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antiviral benefits, making it beneficial for treating minor skin irritations
- Emollient and a humectant, draws moisture to the skin and seals it in
- Vitamin A, which is beneficial in softening and rehydrating dry skin and in cell reconstruction
- Antibacterial that when teamed up with honey inhibits the growth of some bacteria and fungus, making this combination potentially beneficial in the treatment of diaper rash and other bacterial skin conditions
- Acts as a surfactant, forming a protective barrier on the surface of the skin. This barrier provides a film of protection against irritants, including the weather, while still allowing the skin to breathe. (This barrier also aids in protecting the tender skin on your lips. The Mayo Clinic recommends using a lip balm that contains beeswax during cold weather to reduce your chances of developing chapped lips. He Be G-Bees handcrafts GREAT beeswax lip balm!)
- Anti-allergenic and anti-inflammatory properties can actually soothe easily irritated skin, making it one of the best skin care ingredients for those who suffer from allergies or skin problems like rosacea, dermatitis, dry itchy skin, or eczema
- Anti-germicidal properties have been found to help heal minor skin cuts, abrasions, scrapes and wounds.
SAFFLOWER OIL (organic):
- Helps to give skin a healthy glow, promote elasticity and reduce the appearance of wrinkles with its lubricating and hydrating properties
- Consists primarily of linoleic acid, an omega-6 that is packed with essential vitamins
- Prevents dryness and roughness
- Removes dirt and oil
- Aids in the treatment of skin issues such as eczema, psoriasis and acne.
- Aids in the prevention and treatment of acne by dissolving existing blockages
- Helps reduce inflammation and redness, aiding in the treatment of eczema
SWEET ALMOND OIL (organic):
- Rich in many vitamins, minerals, and nutrients including Vitamin E, monounsaturated fatty acids, proteins, potassium and zinc
- Can protect your skin from oxidative stress and UV radiation damage, keeping it soft and supple
- Helps prevent blackheads and acne by penetrating deep into the skin, softening and dislodging the dirt and debris accumulated in the skin pores and hair follicles
- Vitamin A in the oil helps to reduce acne flare-ups
- Reduces itching
- Helps with skin conditions such as acne, eczema, psoriasis, or rosacea due to its high level of fatty acids which serve as a natural emollient for the skin, helping lock in moisture by forming a protective barrier
- Helps get rid of acne by creating clearer skin and pores due to fatty acids that help dissolve the sebum the skin produces that lead to clogged pores
UNREFINED COCOA BUTTER (organic & fair trade):
So, what is unrefined cocoa butter? Simply, it is cocoa butter in its raw form resulting in a creamy yellow color, a rich chocolate smell, and a plethora of benefits for your skin such as:
- Being high in antioxidants, which help fight off free radicals, the causes of skin stressors and signs of aging
- Hydrates the skin
- Aids in the reduction of stretch marks and scars
- Helps to soothe and heal irritated skin such as eczema and dermatitis
So, with all the benefits of unrefined cocoa butter, why would many products contain refined coca butter? Smell and color…The refining process removes the chocolate smell and yellow color, leaving it white and scent free, making it easier to integrate into a product that is colored and fragranced. That being said, the refining process also removes the beneficial qualities naturally found in cocoa butter.
MANGO BUTTER (organic):
- Nourishing and hydrates the skin
- Softens, soothes & moisturizes the skin, making it beneficial for eczema, dermatitis, and dry skin
- Aids in reducing fine lines and wrinkles
- Has anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-aging properties.
- It’s an antioxidant, protecting your skin against free radicals
VITAMIN E OIL (organic):
- It’s an antioxidant that helps neutralize free radicals that can damage cells
- Helps to repair and improve the appearance of the damaged tissue
- Improves the texture of the skin and aids in keeping it tight and firm
- Has a deep cleansing effect on the skin
- Give your scrub a few good squeezes (make sure excess air is out of the bag and it is fully sealed prior to squeezing). This helps to “stir the scrub”, ensuring that the scrub you use on day one and the scrub you use on the last day are equally as fabulous.
- Using a dry spoon (the one we provide or any other spoon), scoop out some of the scrub into another container (remember our scrubs are oil-based and not water-based… so they aren’t good environments for bacteria to grow plus we don’t add any artificial preservatives, only natural ones This is why you should avoid getting water into your scrub).
- Moisten your body, head-to-toes, with warm water.
- Scoop out a bit of the scrub and gently massage the scrub in a circular motion from your toes to your head. Yes, Green Jade is designed to be used on your entire body, including your face and your feet. Focus on dry skin and rough patches. Don’t be rough with the scrub a soft gentle massage is all you need to reap all of the benefits. Be especially gentle where acne or other skin flare-ups are present.
- When finished, rinse off with warm water.
- Moisturize post scrub….WHAT? But other scrubs say that you don’t need lotion after you use a scrub…Well, according to celebrity esthetician Renée Rouleau you need to “lock in the moisture post-body scrub”. So, immediately after using a scrub and gently towel drying, you want to apply a moisturizer. You’ve taken the important step to remove those dead skin cells and “feed” your skin, now lock in those benefits and help correct the lack of hydration deep within the skin to further make it smooth and supple.