The all-natural coffee scrub that feeds the skin.
Our coffee scrub is a one of a kind handmade body scrub that tantalizes the senses with its unique combination of:
· organic oils and butters
· organic fair trade Robusta coffee grounds (we roast and grind the beans on-site)
· organic fair trade sugar
· organic unsulfured blackstrap molasses (to make our own extra dark brown sugar)
· Dead Sea salts
· Bladderwrack seaweed that we sustainably harvest by hand from the Gulf of Maine
· Vitamin E
· citric acid (a member of the alpha-hydroxy family)
· organic beeswax & honey
· organic colloidal oatmeal (that we create on-site)
To that luxurious base we add food for your skin:
· fair trade organic cocoa
· organic herbs & botanicals
· organic pure essential oils
So, what WON’T you find in our scrubs? Icky stuff like:
· artificial preservatives/colors
As an added bonus, our scrubs won’t leave you or your shower/tub feeling like an oil slick. And as with all He Be G-Bees products, we do not test our products on animals. So are you ready to have the ultimate scrub experience?
Scrubs are a wonderful way to exfoliate the largest organ of our body…OUR SKIN. Unexfoliated skin looks dull and even flaky thanks to the dead skin cells that stay on the surface of the skin instead of naturally falling off (happens to us all). On the other hand, skin that is regularly exfoliated is healthier skin, both in appearance and function. Sounds great right? But that’s not all scrubs can do for your skin. Scrubs can:
· Help tighten your pores
· Make your skin softer
· Give your skin a more uniform, glowing appearance
So we can all agree that scrubs are good for our skin, but with so many on the market, which one should you choose? Remember, not all scrubs are created equal. He Be G-Bees carefully selects the finest raw materials to ensure that the scrub you receive is of the highest quality.
Read below to learn about what the above ingredients can do for you!
** Organic Fair Trade
There’s nothing like a good cup-of-Joe made from freshly ground premium coffee beans to start your day. It can increase your energy levels, make you happier, boost short-term memory, and is jam packed with antioxidants that help to rid the body of free radicals. I think we can agree that drinking coffee has some pretty great benefits but why on earth would I want to use it ON my body? Well my coffee loving friend, read on and I’ll let you in on the secret of what using coffee on your skin can do for you:
· Stimulates blood flow and increases circulation, helping it to target cellulite, stretch marks, varicose veins, and scars.
· Helps to prevent and reduce inflammation and redness, making it useful for eczema, psoriasis, rosacea, and acne
· Aids in the reduction of eye puffiness and non-hereditary dark circles under the eyes
· Helps to reduce CELLULITE by tightening and smoothing the skin
· Packed with antioxidants that fight free radicals (the nasties that cause premature skin ageing, i.e. the appearance of wrinkles, sun spots and loss of elasticity) improving the overall look of your skin
· Reduces Cellulite by dehydrating fatty cells, which reduces the size of cellulite fat cells and provides you with smoother skin
Ok, so you’re convinced that using coffee on your skin and hair IS a good thing, but there are a variety of coffee scrubs on the market, why choose Umami?
· Umami uses only Robusta coffee beans as they have 2X the level of caffeine as Arabica beans (what most other scrubs contain) and it’s the caffeine that is providing those wonderful benefits!
· Whereas other scrubs are made using freshly ground (but not freshly roasted) coffee beans, pre-ground coffee beans, or even used coffee grounds (yikes), Umami roasts Robusta coffee beans to perfection on-site in small batches, ensuring the freshest coffee grounds possible.
· We give the freshly roasted beans 24 hours to rest prior to grinding.
· Right before adding the roasted Robusta coffee beans to our scrub, we finely grid them. This ensures maximum levels of nutrients and caffeine in Umami.
Does this take a long time? Yes, but it gives our customers an amazing scrub experience!
To get the best quality of dark brown sugar, we make our own right before putting it in our scrubs.
· We start with fair trade organic sugar that is vegan and does not use Bone Char or any other raw materials containing animal products during the processing.
· To this we add organic, unsulfured Blackstrap Molasses, until we get a deep dark color and warm, yummy scent with a texture of wet sand that is abrasive enough to remove old skin cells without causing your skin harm or irritation.
Why not just buy premade brown sugar? Well, we wanted to have the purest, freshest, most aromatic dark brown sugar possible to maximize the benefits to your skin. What are those benefits? Glad you asked.
· Our homemade brown sugar is a humectant, meaning it can draw moisture out of the environment and can impart it into the skin, acting as a natural moisturizer, helping to keep the moisture in the skin.
· It is a natural glycolic acid (part of the alpha hydroxy acid family) aiding in the breakdown and removal of dead skin cells.
· Our brown sugar dissolves easily in water making it easy to rinse off, leaving no residue that could lead to clogged pores and acne.
· Last, but certainly not least, Blackstrap molasses comes from the bottom of the barrel where all the beneficial minerals are found, including B vitamins, which helps to heal the skin.
· Rich in minerals including magnesium, bromide, zinc and sulfur, all of which help slow overactive cellular growth that causes psoriasis
· Helps to reduce inflammation and redness
· Relaxes muscles
· Smoothes, softens, and renews the skin, reducing the appearance of wrinkles and leaving the skin looking younger
· Helps the skin retain water and keep it moisturized
· Increases blood circulation at the skin's surface, releasing toxins and aiding in skin rejuvenation and cellular renewal
· Soothes and aids in the healing of extremely dry skin, acne, psoriasis, and eczema
(sustainably harvested by hand from the Gulf of Maine)
· Skin softening properties
· Naturally nourishes skin
· Bladderwrack floats on top of the cold Atlantic waters where it soaks up vitamins and minerals from both the ocean and the sun that guard the skin against the harmful effects of environmental pollutants and helps to slow down the skin’s aging process.
· Packed full of vitamins and minerals such as B-complex vitamins, calcium, iodine, iron, magnesium, potassium, sodium, sulfur, and silicon, giving Bladderwrack incredible anti-inflammatory benefits.
· Contains carotene, selenium, zinc, and small amounts of antioxidant Vitamins A, C, and E, which nourish dehydrated and mature skin, improve skin tone/texture/elasticity while leaving it well-moisturized, visibly plumper, and more youthful-looking.
· Amino acids help to hydrate dry skin and alleviate inflammation and irritation.
· Antioxidant and antibacterial properties help improve skin conditions.
· Bladderwrack seaweed also contains fucoidan, a potent natural anti-inflammatory, which also helps reduce redness on the skin's surface. Fucoidan fights aging by helping to maintain collagen levels and promote elasticity in the skin.
· Excellent natural source of omega-3 fatty acids that promote healthy skin.
· Helps soothe skin irritations (burns, insect bites, dryness, itchiness, eczema, and mild acne).
· Helps detoxify and cleanse the skin.
· Has vitamins, minerals, and lipids that add moisture to benefit skin
· Rich in beta-glucans that reduce skin inflammation
· Activates the skin’s immune cells
· Stimulates collagen deposition
· Natural skin healer & protectant
· Helps inflammatory skin conditions such as: chicken pox, sunburn, eczema, diaper rash, poison ivy/oak/sumac rashes, insect bites, acne, & psoriasis
· Rich in saponins for cleansing, moisturizing, & soothing
· Helps normalize skin’s pH
· An antioxidant that helps repair the skin
· Reduces the process of aging as it helps improve the texture of skin and lightening its tone
· Naturally exfoliates the skin, which aids in unclogging clogged pores
· Helps loosen the damaged layers of skin, resulting in healthier, younger skin
· Excellent source of vitamin C, which has anti-aging properties and enhances the production of collagen, increasing the skin’s elasticity and ability to retain moisture
· Hydrates and soothes the skin while moisturizing and healing
· Antimicrobial, prevents the growth of certain bacteria
· Helps to clear minor acne because of its antimicrobial and antioxidant properties, which helps to kill bacteria that cause acne and will help skin heal faster
· Natural humectant and hygroscopic, absorbing moisture from the air which aids in preventing dryness by keeping skin hydrated and fresh, making it great for dry or damaged skin
· Antioxidant that destroys free radicals, helps to protect the skin from sun damage, and helps skin look younger longer
· Anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antiviral benefits, making it beneficial for treating minor skin irritations
· Emollient and a humectant, draws moisture to the skin and seals it in
· Vitamin A, which is beneficial in softening and rehydrating dry skin and in cell reconstruction
· Antibacterial that when teamed up with honey inhibits the growth of some bacteria and fungus, making this combination potentially beneficial in the treatment of diaper rash and other bacterial skin conditions
· Acts as a surfactant, forming a protective barrier on the surface of the skin. This barrier provides a film of protection against irritants, including the weather, while still allowing the skin to breathe. (This barrier also aids in protecting the tender skin on your lips. The Mayo Clinic recommends using a lip balm that contains beeswax during cold weather to reduce your chances of developing chapped lips. He Be G-Bees handcrafts GREAT beeswax lip balm!)
· Anti-allergenic and anti-inflammatory properties can actually soothe easily irritated skin, making it one of the best skin care ingredients for those who suffer from allergies or skin problems like rosacea, dermatitis, dry itchy skin, or eczema
· Anti-germicidal properties have been found to help heal minor skin cuts, abrasions, scrapes and wounds.
· Helps to give skin a healthy glow, promote elasticity and reduce the appearance of wrinkles with its lubricating and hydrating properties
· Consists primarily of linoleic acid, an omega-6 that is packed with essential vitamins
· Prevents dryness and roughness
· Removes dirt and oil
· Aids in the treatment of skin issues such as eczema, psoriasis and acne.
· Aids in the prevention and treatment of acne by dissolving existing blockages
· Helps reduce inflammation and redness, aiding in the treatment of eczema
· Rich in many vitamins, minerals, and nutrients including Vitamin E, monounsaturated fatty acids, proteins, potassium and zinc
· Can protect your skin from oxidative stress and UV radiation damage, keeping it soft and supple
· Helps prevent blackheads and acne by penetrating deep into the skin, softening and dislodging the dirt and debris accumulated in the skin pores and hair follicles
· Vitamin A in the oil helps to reduce acne flare-ups
· Reduces itching
· Helps with skin conditions such as acne, eczema, psoriasis, or rosacea due to its high level of fatty acids which serve as a natural emollient for the skin, helping lock in moisture by forming a protective barrier
· Helps get rid of acne by creating clearer skin and pores due to fatty acids that help dissolve the sebum the skin produces that lead to clogged pores
So, what is unrefined cocoa butter? Simply, it is cocoa butter in its raw form resulting in a creamy yellow color, a rich chocolate smell, and a plethora of benefits for your skin such as:
· Being high in antioxidants, which help fight off free radicals, the causes of skin stressors and signs of aging
· Hydrates the skin
· Aids in the reduction of stretch marks and scars
· Helps to soothe and heal irritated skin such as eczema and dermatitis
So, with all the benefits of unrefined cocoa butter, why would many products contain refined coca butter? Smell and color…The refining process removes the chocolate smell and yellow color, leaving it white and scent free, making it easier to integrate into a product that is colored and fragranced. That being said, the refining process also removes the beneficial qualities naturally found in cocoa butter.
· Nourishing and hydrates the skin
· Softens, soothes & moisturizes the skin, making it beneficial for eczema, dermatitis, and dry skin
· Aids in reducing fine lines and wrinkles
· Has anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-aging properties.
· It’s an antioxidant, protecting your skin against free radicals
· It’s an antioxidant that helps neutralize free radicals that can damage cells
· Helps to repair and improve the appearance of the damaged tissue
· Improves the texture of the skin and aids in keeping it tight and firm
· Has a deep cleansing effect on the skin
· Moisturizes the skin
· Acts as a growth hormone stimulating the growth of new cells which allows the skin to heal quickly and naturally with minimal scarring
· Soothes the skin and helps reduce skin inflammations, blistering, and itchiness, making it beneficial for skin problems, such as psoriasis, acne and eczema.
· Packed with antioxidants including, beta carotene, vitamin C, and vitamin E that can help improve the skin's natural firmness and keep the skin hydrated.
· Helps to lessen the visibility of stretch marks
1. Give your scrub a few good squeezes (make sure excess air is out of the bag and it is fully sealed prior to squeezing). This helps to "stir the scrub", ensuring that the scrub you use on day one and the scrub you use on the last day are equally as fabulous.
2. Using a dry spoon (the one we provide or any other spoon), scoop out some of the scrub into another container (remember our scrubs are oil-based and not water-based… so they aren’t good environments for bacteria to grow plus we don’t add any artificial preservatives, only natural ones This is why you should avoid getting water into your scrub).
3. Moisten your body, head-to-toes, with warm water.
4. Scoop out a bit of the scrub and gently massage the scrub in a circular motion from your toes to your scalp. Yes, Umami is designed to be used on your entire body, including your face and your feet. Focus on dry skin and rough patches. Don’t be rough with the scrub a soft gentle massage is all you need to reap all of the benefits. Be especially gentle where acne or other skin flare-ups are present.
5. When finished, rinse off with warm water.
6. Moisturize post scrub….WHAT? But other scrubs say that you don’t need lotion after you use a scrub…Well, according to celebrity esthetician Renée Rouleau you need to “lock in the moisture post-body scrub”. So, immediately after using a scrub and gently towel drying, you want to apply a moisturizer. You’ve taken the important step to remove those dead skin cells and “feed” your skin, now lock in those benefits and help correct the lack of hydration deep within the skin to further make it smooth and supple.